Ministry of Spiritual Direction
The Formation Program is for those who. . .
- Are attentive to their own faith journey and who are consciously seeking to deepen their spiritual experience.
- Are aware of the longing that people have to explore and share their questions about life and faith.
- Wish to develop their talents and gifts in ministry.
- Find themselves being sought out by others regarding questions about faith, spirituality, and God.
- Believe God is calling them to one-on-one companioning with people who are seeking meaning in their lives.
- Recognize within themselves the call from God to minister to others in this way.
- Are rooted in the Christian faith and at least 30 years of age.
- Have a personal prayer practice and some familiarity with Scripture.
- Are ready to enter an adult learning program focused on personal spiritual formation and development of spiritual direction skills.
- Have experienced a quiet, reflective retreat time of at least 3-5 days, preferably with spiritual guidance, or an equivalent experience.
The Listening Place Formation Program . . .
- Is rooted in Ignatian spirituality.
- Seeks diversity and is ecumenical.
- Uses a variety of experiential methods.
- Helps you discern your call to companion others as part of your vocation.
- Develops the spiritual skills needed to walk effectively with others on their spiritual path.
- Offers a context in which you can integrate your faith and life.
- Shapes you into a contemplative in the world.
Program Components and Sessions
- Two-year experiential training in the art of spiritual direction (Certificate awarded upon completion)
- The training sessions meet one Monday evening per month, 6pm-9pm, and one Saturday per month, 9am-4pm for ten months beginning in late August/early September ending late May/early June for a total of 100 classroom hours each year.
- Classes meet at The Listening Place, 1803 Chapel Hill Road, Suite A, Durham, NC
Curriculum Topics (Divided into eight modules over the 2-year period)
- History of Christian Spirituality/Wise Teachers from the Christian Tradition
- What is Spiritual Direction?
- Guidelines for Ethical Conduct
- Social Context of Spiritual Direction
- The spirituality of the Spiritual Director
- Prayer Traditions and Practices
- Theological Themes and Reflection in Spiritual Direction
- Stages of Faith and Moral Development
- Personal Vocation
- Helpful Tools in Spiritual Direction: Dreamwork, Enneagram
- The Spiritual Exercises of Ignatius Loyola--Retreat in Everyday Life
- Keep a journal of experiences and learning
- Meet monthly with personal Spiritual Director
- Will be given access to program resources (readings, handouts, etc.) on the website
- Read and reflect on assigned readings between sessions
- Practice learnings in daily life
- Purchase and read assigned books
- Write four reflection papers on particular themes (one per module, Year One)
- Prepare verbatims (a total of 8, Year Two)
- Practice spiritual direction under supervision and regularly meet with a Supervisor to reflect on experiences and skills as Spiritual Directors (Year Two)
- Complete the application and submit it along with two letters of reference (reference request form provided) and the $25.00 non-refundable processing fee by June 15th.
- Schedule a conversation with the program facilitators no later than June 30. (This can be done either before or after submitting your application.)
- Receive notification of your acceptance into the program by July 15th.
Tuition and Expenses
- The cost of the formation program is $2000 per year ($500 per module). Payment arrangements and partial scholarships available.
- Tuition includes all course material, a simple meal for Saturday sessions, guest speakers, and supervision fees
- Tuition does not include fees for personal spiritual direction. Students make their own arrangements for personal spiritual direction, or students may arrange to use a spiritual director affiliated with The Listening Place for $25 per monthly session.
Training Dates for 2018-2019
- Saturday, September 8, 2018
- Monday, September 24, 2018
- Saturday, October 6, 2018
- Monday, October 22, 2018
- Saturday, November 3, 2018
- Monday, November 26, 2018
- Saturday, December 1, 2018
- Monday, December 17, 2018
- Saturday, January 5, 2019
- Monday, January 14, 2019
- Saturday, February 2, 2019
- Monday, February 11, 2019
- Saturday, March 2, 2019
- Monday, March 11, 2019
- Saturday, April 6, 2019
- Monday, April 15, 2019
- Saturday, May 4, 2019
- Monday, May 13, 2019
- Saturday May 25, 2019
- Monday, June 3, 2019